Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The secret of pumping was revealed unto me.

Yesterday I earned two sticker badges on my skateboard: I figured out the pumping thing and learned the basics of kickturning on a transition. I had a lesson with Mandy Esch and she's just awesome... I was stoked the whole day and can't wait to go back to skating today.

On Sunday we had the etnies Girls Get on Board event at Lake Forest. I wanted to learn to pump and Quynn showed me that I was extending and flexing at the wrong time. She also helped me with a wheel that wasn't turning well - it was rusty inside, so she showed me how to put some soap, turn it around to use the other side, and how to put it back without locking it.

After I knew where I was supposed to extend and when to flex, I just couldn't stay on the board. Quynn told me I was moving my head out of alignment, and that our heads are pretty heavy... Tell me about it, I wear a men's XL helmet that fits snuggly, and I can't hold the weight of my head in most yoga poses.

Anyway, later Mandy came over and asked, "is there anything I can help you with, are you looking at learning anything specific?" and I said "yes, but I don't think anyone can teach another person to skateboard, really, and you just got to figure it out by yourself..." Mandy said "oooh, I can teach you, believe me!" And she showed me some additional things when trying to pump - that my toes were way out of the board and that would make it more difficult (that was the thing that did the most impact, so much easier when I let my heels hang out instead) - also to go down like you want to break that board (I still can't do that, but I got the idea) - and to put my back feet further back, which is also what Quynn keeps repeating to me every time. Anyway, all of a sudden I was going up and down! And she said "you're doing it!" And I said "well, I think this is some kind of magic and after you're gone I won't be able to do it anymore!" lol - she said "I'll wait for a bit to see if you got it." Later by myself I didn't rock like when she was helping me, but still better than before.

Then next day (yesterday) I went to Vans. I had two hours to skate before a lesson with Mandy. I was trying to pump but couldn't build any speed... I stopped and thought about how a swing works. When you're on the top, you extend your legs (move your weight) BEFORE you start going down. A fraction of second before, as you're still floating. And I had been moving my weight (flexing) together with going down, not before.

So I was done with the theory and went to practice, to test the theory. It worked immediately and I was laughing out loud... awesome.

And the lesson with Mandy was just as awesome. I learned little things that were stopping me from kickturning, and I got more confident about it - I could finally do it!

Now I just have to combine the pumping and the kickturn (backside). That's my homework. And practicing frontside on flat.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home